Wednesday, July 31, 2013

AMRAP

As Many Reps As Possible...AMRAP. Wow. I'd never done one of these kinds of workouts before and they're pretty intense. You have to go as fast as you can in the allotted amount of time. The exercises aren't hard or heavy, just fast.

Last night's workout was this:

Strength
3x3 heavy power snatch - I only did the 15 pound trainer bar...

10min AMRAP

12 overhead plate lunges - I did 15 pounds

8 toes-to-bar - I did knees to chest because my core is nowhere NEAR strong enough to bring my toes up to the bar

6 squat snatches - again, only the 15 pound trainer bar...

The power and squat snatches were giving me so much trouble! For whatever reason, I just don't "get" the movement. I'm throwing up the bar with my shoulders instead of powering it up with my hips. I can't figure out that movement. So I'm not "allowed" to move on to the heavier, weighted bars until I can get the movement down. Which I totally understand but it frustrates the heck out of me that I can't get this! The coach was trying to help me with it but I could tell that he was getting a little frustrated as well and I know that he can't just focus on me and my non-form when there are a handful of other people in the class that he needs to keep an eye on too. So I'll just continue with my little wimpy bar until I can grasp the concept of the "snatch." Lame...

I was able to fully complete 4 rounds of the AMRAP though and then went on to do 35 Russian Twists with the 18 pound kettlebell. I was tired after the workout and pressed for time because I had to get home and then leave again for a hair appointment.

I've realized that I need to go to class more often than 2 times a week. So now, I've already signed up for classes thru the end of the week. I'm getting impatient because I'm not seeing the results fast enough. And I think that my diet has to do with that as well... I can eat like a champ during the day at work, but when I get home, and I'm tired either from the day or from working out, all bets are off and I'm reaching for whatever is easiest and fastest. Not always the best. I'm going to try the 5:30AM class on Friday to see if that will work better for me. It's going to be early and it's going to be difficult to get out of bed, but I think that by shifting my schedule around a little bit, it might work out better for me at night. We shall see!!

No comments: